Életfa Hungarian Folk
Partner, Jumbie Records
Raul Rothblatt is a founding partner of Jumbie Records. He has three bands:
- Kakande – manager, cellist
- Életfa – manager, bassist, utógárdon player
- Dallam-Dougou – bandleader, manager, composer, cellist, African fiddle player
Raul studied classical composition at UC Berkeley and the Liszt Academy of Music in Budapest. He has an MFA in Musical Theatre Composition from NYU.
In addition to his Jumbie activities, he is active in community building in New York and Guinea. He is:
- Treasurer and founding Steering Committee member of Alliance Guinea, a leader in the movement for democracy in Guinea. Alliance Guinea created an election monitoring crowdsourcing initiative, giving Guinean citizens the opportunity to report on election-related issues. Guinea was the only country to move from military rule to democracy in 2010.
- Executive Director of the Four Borough Neighborhood Preservation Alliance Foundation, a non-profit dedicated to working with civic groups from Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx and Staten Island to promote sensible development.
- Founder of Prospect Heights Democrats for Reform
- A leading defender and promoter of the Duffield Street Abolitionist homes in Downtown Brooklyn.
- Created a crowdsourcing snow removal map for Brooklyn in December 2010.
Raul lives in Brooklyn with his wife and young daughter. He will gladly share photos and videos if you email him here.